CANBERRA - The Australian dollar has reportedly reached parity with the US dollar for the first time since it was floated in December 1983.
CANBERRA, Australia - Tensions emerged Wednesday between Australia's deputy prime minister and a kingmaker independent lawmaker over plans to make mining companies pay more taxes, underscoring the fragility of the country's new minority government.
CANBERRA, Australia - The first full day of Australia's new minority government revealed tensions Wednesday between the deputy prime minister and a kingmaker independent legislator over plans to make mining companies pay more tax.
CANBERRA, Australia - Prime Minister Julia Gillard will lead Australia's first minority government in 67 years after two independent lawmakers threw their support behind her center-left Labor Party on Tuesday, ending two weeks of uncertainty left by national elections that ended on a knife-edge.
CANBERRA, Australia - Independent lawmaker Tony Windsor says he supports Prime Minister Julia Gillard's Labor Party to form an Australian minority government.
- 1st Australian female PM leads party to low point
- Key Australian lawmaker backs Labor to govern
- Australian lawmakers reveal $9.7B hole in pledges
- Australian lawmakers reveal $9.7 B hole in pledges
- Greens party backs Australian Labor Party gov't
- Australia economy grows at fastest pace in 3 years
- 3 kingmakers mull Australia's next government
- Australian PM contender frustrates key legislators
- Australian PM contenders promise no early election
- Australian mining stocks rise on poll uncertainty
- Australia votes on whether first woman PM survives
- Australian PM rules out deals on mining tax law
- Australian PM announces Aug. 21 elections
- Australian PM poised to announce August elections
- Australia relents on contentious mining profit tax
- Australia drops contentious 40 percent mining tax
- Australia's new PM to negotiate with miners on tax
- Australia gets its 1st female PM as Rudd ousted
- Australia's PM tipped to lose leadership vote
- Xstrata halts investment over Australia mining tax
- Australia to take Japan to court over whaling
- Mining shares tumble on Australian tax plan
- Australia looks at 40 percent tax on mining profit
- Australia approves in principle 2nd stock exchange
- Opposition backs Australian carbon reduction bill
- Opposition debate Australian carbon reduction laws