WASHINGTON - Abbott Laboratories said Friday it will withdraw its diet pill Meridia in the U.S.
U.S. health regulators dealt a major blow to the controversial diabetes pill Avandia Thursday, requiring doctors and patients to sign consent forms before starting a prescription of the drug.
European regulators ordered the diabetes drug Avandia off the market and the Food and Drug Administration placed stringent restrictions on its use in the United States, saying heart attack risks associated with the former blockbuster are too great a safety concern to continue its use for most people.
European health regulators have banned sales of the once-blockbuster diabetes drug Avandia because of evidence it raises the risk of heart attack, but doctors in the U.S.
ADELPHI, Md. - Federal health advisers delivered a split opinion Wednesday on whether to withdraw the diet pill Meridia due to evidence that it increases heart attack and stroke, with half voting to ban it and the others favoring new warnings and restricted distribution.
- FDA questions safety, effectiveness with diet pill
- FDA mulls pulling diet pill linked to heart attack
- Picking right blood pressure medicine challenging
- Journal editors question sale of diet pill Meridia
- Diabetes now tops Vietnam vets' claims
- Report: Cancer is the world's costliest disease
- Momenta receives OK for generic version of Lovenox
- FDA panel: Diabetes drug should stay on market
- Diabetes pill controversy shows rift in FDA ranks
- FDA review spotlights heart risk of diabetes pill
- European agency to review safety of GSK's Avandia
- Cholesterol drugs for the healthy still debatable
- Diabetes drug risks reported ahead of FDA hearing
- GE invests in $5M in heart disease test maker
- Merck: Schering-Plough integration is track
- Study finds possible heart risk with prostate drug
- FDA questions new use for Boston Science device
- Arteries improve after smokers quit, study finds
- Australian court: Vioxx doubled heart attack risk
- Scientists try to break fat-and-disease link
- Merck: Last Vioxx patient payouts to be made soon
- Hot tip: Target inflammation to ease obesity ills
- Senate report: Avandia maker knew of cardiac risks
- Girl's odyssey shows challenge of fighting obesity
- Brazil's Silva suffers spike in blood pressure
- Brazil's Silva hospitalized with hypertension
- FDA adds heart attack warning to Meridia diet pill
- Group urges recall of drug for fibromyalgia
- FDA panel rejects new use for Forest heart drug
- FDA staff against new use of Forest Labs drug
- Pfizer gets European OK for intravenous Revatio
- Lessons of a weekend of free health care
- Study: Sticking with heart rehab boosts survival
- FDA warns docs about tainted hypertension drug
- Study: New device boosts heart failure survival