TRENTON, N.J. - About 30 New Jersey mayors appealed to Gov.
MADRID - A general strike against Spain's austerity measures saw tens of thousands of people take to the streets on Wednesday in protests that canceled flights, halted produce shipments and caused clashes between police and the public.
BRUSSELS - Tens of thousands of workers marched Wednesday through the streets of Europe, decrying the loss of jobs and benefits they fear will come with stinging austerity measures seeking to contain government debt.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and legislative leaders abruptly canceled their scheduled budget talks Tuesday, hours after Schwarzenegger's press secretary blamed "union bosses" for blocking pension reforms the governor insists are needed to solve the state's long-term financial problems.
BRUSSELS - Labor unions hope to organize a march of 100,000 workers on European Union institutions in Brussels on Wednesday, as well as a general strike in Spain to protest the budget-slashing plans and austerity measures of governments seeking to control debt.
- AP Investigation: Calif. pension bonuses examined
- A look at state pension changes
- States cutting benefits for public-sector retirees
- S.African gov't ups wage offer to civil servants
- South Africans protest nationwide for higher pay
- Why we strike: S.African civil servants struggle
- Greeks feeling pain from austerity measures
- Violence erupts during South Africa strike
- Civil servants' union calls strike in South Africa
- Disclosure considered for Calif. pension boards
- Union head urges workers to confront 'job-cutters'
- Nev. board slashes state employee benefits, costs
- Jobs bill to stop teacher layoffs nears approval
- Senate jobs bill clears key hurdle
- NY governor planning at least 1,000 state layoffs
- Brown seeks rollback of Calif. pension benefits
- Greek flights halted by civil servant protest
- Whitman attacks on nurses part of larger strategy
- Pensions weigh options from BP spill
- UK gov't to cut pay for laid off civil servants
- State and local gov't workers' job security fades
- Calif. pension fund approves state rate increase
- Ordinary Gazans hurt most by 3-year blockade
- Spain's public sector on strike
- Charges fly as Mich. gubernatorial hopefuls debate
- NY governor planning for mass state worker layoffs
- Spanish lawmakers barely approve austerity plan
- Spanish Parliament approves economic measures
- Europe faces an era of government spending cuts
- Greek workers heckle culture minister on Acropolis
- Spanish union calls civil servant strike
- Spain to slash salaries, investment to cut deficit
- Spain outlines plan to cut deficit
- Big parties woo kingmaker in Britain's election
- No UK election winner, big 2 parties woo a partner