SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and legislative leaders abruptly canceled their scheduled budget talks Tuesday, hours after Schwarzenegger's press secretary blamed "union bosses" for blocking pension reforms the governor insists are needed to solve the state's long-term financial problems.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman's comparison of Fresno and Detroit has drawn criticism from the Motor City mayor's office, with his spokeswoman calling on the billionaire GOP candidate to focus on investing in communities hit hardest by the financial meltdown.
AUSTIN, Texas - A plastics compounding company operating in eastern Texas has canceled its state job creation contract, joining other businesses that have quit or changed their pacts under the Texas Enterprise Fund.
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah officials said Friday they have identified at least two state workers who apparently accessed confidential documents to create a list of 1,300 purported illegal immigrants that was mailed to law enforcement officials and the news media.
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn has handed out raises - some of more than 20 percent - to his staff while proclaiming a message of "shared sacrifice" and planning spending cuts of $1.4 billion because the state is awash in debt.
- Electricity-starved Iraqis' obsession: generators
- Brown's tale of frugality omits $1.8 million home
- Wisconsin's Democrats have got the blues
- More Enterprise Fund companies fall short on jobs
- Obama sends Congress small business lending bill
- NYC seeks $300 levy on once-free film permits
- Ask AP: Prescription drug origins, AP bureaus
- NYC Mayor's Office: JetBlue to remain in New York
- Va. gov counters state atty. gen.'s advice on gays
- Whitman defines herself as the un-Schwarzenegger
- Xinhua: China expects 8 percent growth this year
- Wyoming Gov. Freudenthal won't seek third term
- Obama offers himself as business-friendly centrist
- Schwarzenegger, lawmakers clash over lt. governor
- Calif. Assembly rejects lt. governor nominee
- Obama rips GOP as 'opportunists,' touts loan plan
- Obama brands Republicans as 'opportunists' in NH
- Obama takes on GOP, pitches small business lending
- Obama unveils 2011 budget with $3.83T in spending
- Obama unveils $3.83T budget with massive deficits
- Obama pleads for civility, cooperation in politics
- Obama picked odd time and place to jab high court
- Voters say Obama's speech a call to lawmakers
- Obama pleas for civility, cooperation in politics
- Senate Dem: Health care bill 'on life support'
- Sector Snap: Modest gains seen in bank stocks
- World markets supported by Fed, upbeat US earns
- Stock futures rise on upbeat earnings reports
- Stock futures modestly higher after Obama speech
- Voters to president: Less talk, more action
- World stock markets gain after Obama address
- Obama urges nervous Dems to fight for his agenda
- Justice looks askance as Obama criticizes court
- Reaction to Obama's State of the Union address
- Stocks show mildly positive reaction to Obama