BRUSSELS - European and Asian leaders opened a formal summit amid high security and palace opulence, hoping to agree on commitments to keep the global financial system on an even keel and find a better balance on the Europe-dominated International Monetary Fund.
BEIJING - China on Thursday released three Japanese detained after allegedly entering a restricted Chinese military zone, as tensions over a maritime dispute began to unwind.
BEIJING - Three Japanese detained after allegedly entering a restricted Chinese military zone were released Thursday, but one was still being held amid simmering tensions after ships collided near disputed islands.
TOKYO - China needs to resolve the case of four Japanese nationals it is holding as the first step toward repairing ties that have been strained over a territorial dispute, Japan's foreign minister Wednesday.
BEIJING - China's increasingly muscular diplomacy may be repelling its Asian neighbors and pushing them closer to the United States, helping fulfill Beijing's fears of being systematically encircled by Washington and its allies, analysts say.
- Japan: China rare-earth ban could hurt economy
- Japan asks China to cover damage to patrol boats
- Japan releases Chinese boat captain amid dispute
- China says 4 Japanese filmed military targets
- Obama pushes China on currency in meeting
- Obama pursues currency spat in meeting with China
- UN chief urges tolerance to combat polarization
- China denies ban on rare earths exports to Japan
- China seeks to play down differences with US
- China says US-Chinese ties linked
- No deal: Mideast round ends amid fresh violence
- Japanese PM wins party vote, will stay in power
- Japan leadership battle Tuesday could bring new PM
- Clinton says time is ripe for Mideast deal
- Clinton heads to Mideast for uncertain peace talks
- Japan wary of China military, urges closer US ties
- Farmer-turned-hunger striker dies in Venezuela
- NKorea confirms Kim's not-so-secret trip to China
- US points to oil as key to Iraq's postwar future
- US opposes use of force in South China Sea dispute
- China unlikely to satisfy US on military openness
- Mexico slaps tariffs on US goods over trucking ban
- AP IMPACT: Border Patrol sees spike in suicides
- Chinese missile could shift Pacific power balance
- Mercosur trade bloc agrees to reduce customs fees
- Israel to take part in UN probe of flotilla raid
- Natural gas could lead to new Lebanon-Israel war
- Fidel absent, Raul silent at Cuba's Revolution Day
- US holds drills off Korea as Pyongyang talks war
- NKorea vows powerful nuclear response to US-SKorea
- NKorea: "Nuclear deterrence" to US/SK war games
- NKorea tensions spike at Asian security forum
- US wades into thorny Asian disputes
- NKorea warns US drill, sanctions endanger region
- NKorea warns US exercises threaten region