WASHINGTON - A wave of government layoffs in September outpaced weak hiring in the private sector, pushing down the nation's payrolls by a net total of 95,000 jobs.
WASHINGTON - Companies likely added a small number of jobs last month, but hardly enough to bring much relief to the nation's 15 million unemployed.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The second-largest bottler of Coca-Cola products in the nation will pay $495,000 to settle a federal case involving charges of racially discriminatory hiring practices.
CHERRY VALLEY, Ill. - Martina Love had two words to describe the job fair hosted Tuesday by Scott Lee Cohen, the independent candidate for Illinois governor: false advertisement.
VISALIA, Calif. - It's a question rekindled by the recession: Are immigrants taking jobs away from American citizens? In the heart of the nation's biggest farming state, the answer is a resounding no.
- The recession is over! So where's the party?
- Penguins offer freebie game with job-hunting twist
- Despite hiring, US unemployment rate seems frozen
- For Idaho refugees, a job search ends in Oregon
- For some refugees, job search ends at Oregon dairy
- Iowa RB Jewel Hampton seeks starting job
- West Corp. plans job fair to add 300 jobs in Omaha
- K-9 PTSD? Some vets say dogs stressed by war, too
- Shaq believes he'll play in NBA next season
- Animals used by military can feel war's stresses
- Summary Box: Unemployment up in most metro areas
- US military investigates contractor work force
- Latino civil rights group: Gym chain discriminates
- Job market not growing fast enough for big rebound
- Payrolls drop by 125K, jobless rate falls
- Oil hovers near $73 as traders eye US jobs report
- Oil rises above $73 as traders eye US jobs report
- Nevada unemployment hits 14 percent, leads nation
- Nebraska unemployment rate improves to 4.9 percent
- Obama faces rare defeat on health help for jobless
- Laid-off workers can't find jobs; start businesses
- Gibbs denies offering job to Colo. candidate
- Oil rises above $74 as US jobs report awaited
- Japan jobless rate up, while prices fall in April
- Tips on how to make the temp-to-perm transition
- Court says black firefighter lawsuit can proceed
- Web portal Warrior Gateway helps digital-age vets
- Wash. jobless rate drops to 9.2 percent in April
- Burst of hiring aids recovery, but long slog ahead
- A tale of 2 employment surveys, at a glance
- Hornets interview Johnson, Casey for coaching job
- Collins 'intrigued' after job interview with 76ers
- Unemployment challenges Obama's economic push
- Unemployment challenges Obama's economic narrative
- Sandwich-board job hunter finds work after 2 years