WASHINGTON - Abbott Laboratories said Friday it will withdraw its diet pill Meridia in the U.S.
NEW YORK - The weight loss drug Meridia is being be pulled off the market in Canada, the nation's health department said Friday, because of links to side effects like heart attacks and strokes.
Drug data firm IMS Health now considers 17 countries to be "emerging markets" for prescription drug sales.
GROWTH SPURT: IMS Health forecasts global prescription drug sales will rise 5 percent to 7 percent next year, up from just 4 percent to 5 percent growth this year.
TRENTON, N.J. - Revenue from global prescription drug sales should increase 5 percent to 7 percent next year, reaching at least $880 billion, fueled by new drugs and rising sales in developing countries, according to drug data firm IMS Health.
- U of Minnesota, Mayo to expand diabetes research
- New survey on sex in US, biggest since 1994
- After 10 years in US, abortion pill still divisive
- Edwards Lifesciences surges on Sapien trial data
- Sanofi reports positive results with diabetes drug
- Lennar, Netezza, Owens Corning among big movers
- Spiriva as good as Serevent in asthma study
- FDA delays decision on breast cancer drug Avastin
- FDA reviewing cancer risk with diabetes pill Actos
- FDA panel says 'no' to experimental diet pill
- FDA panel split on withdrawing diet pill Meridia
- Harley, MasterCard, AK Steel are big movers
- Neurocrine slips on failure of depression drug
- FDA questions safety, effectiveness with diet pill
- Cyclacel shares jump on FDA study agreement
- FDA mulls pulling diet pill linked to heart attack
- UK regulators want Avandia diabetes pill pulled
- FDA relents from midodrine withdrawal plan
- Picking right blood pressure medicine challenging
- Journal editors question sale of diet pill Meridia
- E-cigs gaining steam amid calls for a ban
- Some donated malaria drugs being stolen in Africa
- LA judge questions 2 charges in Anna Nicole trial
- Diabetes now tops Vietnam vets' claims
- Questions loom over drug given to sleepless vets
- FDA panel mixed on approving Cymbalta for pain
- FDA eyes Jazz Pharmaceuticals fibromyalgia drug
- Shire will pull blood-pressure drug cited by FDA
- FDA questions wider approval of Lilly's Cymbalta
- Eli Lilly halts development of Alzheimer's drug
- FDA moves to withdraw unproven blood pressure drug
- Summary Box: Medco will acquire United BioSource
- FDA poised to recall unproven blood pressure drug
- Medco Health will buy United BioSource for $730M
- FDA panel favors Glaxo epilepsy drug