NEW YORK - Retailers are reporting surprisingly solid sales gains for September, boosted by back-to-school shopping, much of it was pushed into September by parents who had put off trips to the mall.
PORTLAND, Ore. - Despite widespread efforts to attract low-income shoppers, farmers' markets have had limited success in drawing people like Bishop Reed, who in the past three years has lost his job and his home.
NEW YORK - Toys R Us plans to invade the mall this holiday season, opening 600 temporary "Express" stores in malls and other shopping centers around the country, more than six times last year's count, and hiring 10,000 seasonal workers.
NEW YORK - American shoppers, taking advantage of deep discounts and tax-free holidays, opened up their wallets a little more for back-to-school spending compared with last year, giving some retailers better-than expected gains for August.
MOSCOW, Russia - The centuries-old monasteries and country estates on Moscow's outskirts may speak to Russia's history and traditions, but the train trips to get to them say a lot about what Russia is like today.
- Fashion's Night Out returns in more places
- Mass. gov. signs sales tax holiday bill into law
- Massachusetts program turns refugees into farmers
- Stores push summertime 'Christmas' sales
- How stores set their holiday inventories
- Flint-grown produce getting spot at farmers market
- Retailers post choppy June, start to discount more
- States ease food safety rules for homemade goods
- Smart Spending: Honor Dad within your budget
- Surging costs hit food security in poorer nations
- Va. socialite and winemaker selling country estate
- Bistro in Aisle 9: Supermarkets mimic restaurants
- Forbes buying online news startup True/Slant
- Liberty Media revenue increases in 1Q
- Japan going frugal with Forever 21 Ginza opening
- Michelle Obama visits San Diego community farm
- How to eat well on a food stamp budget: $68.88
- Shoppers likely gave March sales Easter boost
- Ahead of the Bell: Crop Report
- CDC uses shopper-card data to trace salmonella
- Family beach offers ways to save bucks on vacation
- Burberry draws all-stars at London Fashion Week
- Simon Property offers General Growth $10B buyout
- Simon Properties offers General Growth $10B buyout
- Lawmakers help food stamps get to farmers markets
- German retail sales up 0.8 pct in December
- Recession barely over: UK grows 0.1 pct in Q4
- Recession over: UK posts 0.1 pct growth in Q4
- British economy exits recession
- Time looks beyond ad revenue with StyleFeeder
- Retail sales down in December, puzzling economists
- Retail sales fall unexpectedly; jobless claims up
- ShopperTrak: Holiday sales better than expected
- Stores to post modest December sales gains
- Report: Online sales up 5 percent during holidays