BEIJING - In China, tobacco companies sponsor schools.
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Gaza's Hamas rulers are banning women from smoking water pipes in cafes, claiming it violates tradition and leads to divorce.
BOSTON - Massachusetts lawmakers enthralled with the lure of easy casino cash are having a tough time squaring the 24-hour world of smoke-filled, free-booze gambling haunts with the state's Puritan roots and high-minded liberal reputation.
TOPEKA, Kan. - Attorneys representing bars and bingo parlors asked a Kansas judge to put a hold on the state's smoking ban Tuesday, arguing it would hurt their businesses and violate their constitutional rights to property.
BOSTON - Six years after Massachusetts passed a ban on smoking in workplaces, bars and restaurants because of public health concerns, Senate leaders are backing a gambling bill that would allow smoking in new casinos proposed for the state.
- Egypt cracks down on smoking in Alexandria
- Kan. Senate work on gambling mired in smoking fuss
- No butts about it: Navy subs to ban smoking
- Mich. hookah fanciers fume about smoking ban
- Smoking ban in public goes into effect in Syria
- Gambling drops in North Dakota over decade
- Calif. moves to ban smoking at all state parks
- Attempt stalls to ban smoking at Calif state parks
- Calif. considers smoking ban at all state parks
- Ind. House panel backs statewide smoking ban
- Montana's video gambling revenue falls 18 percent
- China to expand smoking bans in 7 major cities
- Kansas gov boosts smoking ban but hurdles remain
- Tobacco-rich NC bans smoking in bars, restaurants
- At brew pub, Michigan governor signs smoking ban
- Mich. lawmakers pass smoking ban; casinos exempt
- Michigan to become 38th state to ban smoking
- Mich. Senate passes smoking ban; casinos exempt
- MI lawmakers edge closer to possible smoking ban
- Kaine heralds dawn of smoke-free Va. restaurants
- Virginia restaurants prepare for new smoking law
- In tobacco-loving Va., bars to quit cold-turkey
- AP News in Brief
- Immigrants likelier to support smoking bans