TOKYO - Japan imposed a record 40 percent tax hike on cigarettes in a bid to curb the nation's smoking rate - the highest among major industrialized nations.
RICHMOND, Va. - Tobacco maker Star Scientific Inc.
ATLANTA - U.S. smoking rates continue to hold steady, at about one in five adults lighting up regularly, frustrated health officials reported Tuesday.
RICHMOND, Va. - Electronic cigarettes that look like the real thing and but don't contain tobacco are gaining steam despite calls for a ban of the battery-powered devices.
WASHINGTON - They've lived with the health warnings about smoking for much of their lives and doubtless seen the ill effects on friends, relatives and even themselves, yet about 4.5 million older people in the U.S.
- Will grandma ever quit smoking?
- Law snuffs out mailing smokes to deployed troops
- No smoking in school: China fights against tobacco
- High NH cigarette tax yields rising sales in Maine
- Tobacco industry on offensive amid menthol review
- Egypt fights smoking with new tobacco tax
- In Mass., a politically correct casino debate
- Cigarette maker Lorillard defends menthol cigs
- Mass. Senate casino bill would allow smoking
- FDA takes its time on tobacco regulation
- Egypt cracks down on smoking in Alexandria
- Big Tobacco fights NYC over anti-smoking posters
- Cigarette packs get colorful for 'light' label ban
- Conn. smoker wins $8M verdict, 1st in New England
- Smoker wins $8 million verdict
- Report says tobacco companies courting young women
- Up in smoke: Indonesian child-teen smokers rising
- Hamas short on cash as Gaza blockade takes toll
- Australia proposes tough cigarette packaging rules
- Smoking ban in public goes into effect in Syria
- American Idol winner sparks smoking debate
- CDC: Cigarette taxes rose in 14 states last year
- Scientists look to tobacco as a potential biofuel
- Could Hong Kong teach China to quit smoking?
- Attempt stalls to ban smoking at Calif state parks
- Calif. considers smoking ban at all state parks
- Arteries improve after smokers quit, study finds
- Judge cuts $300M smoker's lawsuit award to $39M
- Marijuana use by seniors goes up as boomers age
- Ind. House panel backs statewide smoking ban
- China to expand smoking bans in 7 major cities
- Kansas gov boosts smoking ban but hurdles remain
- Fla. ex-smoker drops lawsuit against Philip Morris
- Weighing wellness program incentives
- Tobacco-rich NC bans smoking in bars, restaurants