NEW YORK - Stocks edged lower Thursday, backing away from early gains, as uncertainty built up ahead of a key report on the labor market.
WASHINGTON - Job openings rose in August for the second straight month and layoffs dropped sharply, evidence that the job market is slowly healing.
NEW YORK - Stocks seesawed Thursday as traders balanced slightly better news on jobs against mixed results from PepsiCo Inc.
NEW YORK - Stocks are climbing after a surprise dip in unemployment claims and stronger sales reports from retailers.
NEW YORK - Stock futures edged higher Thursday after a surprise dip in weekly unemployment claims and relatively strong monthly retail sales reports.
- Traders avoid big moves before earnings, jobs data
- World markets flat but dollar slide continues
- Economy gets lift from government aid
- Consumer spending and incomes both rise in August
- Stocks end bullish month on weak note; Dow off 47
- Summary Box: Jobless claims drop, as economy slows
- Stocks pull back as investors take profits
- Stocks set to end September surge with more gains
- Stock futures climb on drop in unemployment claims
- Jobless benefit applications drop to 453K
- Stock futures slip on last day of quarter
- Stock futures little changed to end quarter
- Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work
- Asian shares mixed after jump in US jobless claims
- World shares mixed after jump in US jobless claims
- Asian shares fall after jump in US jobless claims
- Summary Box: Unemployment claims rise to 465K
- Stocks weaken on Europe worries and job numbers
- Stocks set to slide as unemployment claims rise
- Initial claims for unemployment aid rise to 465K
- Stocks slide as unemployment claims rise
- Stocks erase losses on modest rise in home sales
- Stocks set to extend slide after drop overseas
- Summary Box: 2 threats to the economy fade
- Two big threats to the economy shrink a bit
- Jobless claims fall, wholesale prices stay tame
- Stocks slip even as unemployment claims drop
- Stock futures dip even as jobless claims drop
- New unemployment claims fall to lowest in 2 months
- Stock futures dip ahead of jobs, inflation data
- Asia stocks gain on Japan, US economy indicators
- Summary Box: Jobless claims drop, trade gap falls
- Dollar rises on Deutsche Bank stock issue
- Stocks extend gains after drop in jobless claims
- Fears of a second recession ease, at least for now