LOS ANGELES - Nearly $69 million in welfare money meant to help California's neediest families was spent or withdrawn at locations such as Hawaii, Las Vegas casinos and cruise ships from Miami.
LONDON - Britain will cap payments to jobless families and scrap child benefits for high earners in a sweeping overhaul of the country's welfare system, Treasury chief George Osborne said Monday.
STOCKHOLM - A far-right party entered the Swedish Parliament for the first time in elections Sunday, spoiling the center-right government's victory and majority, and plunging the country into political disarray, preliminary results showed.
STOCKHOLM - Sweden's election was heading for a nail-biting finish Sunday with a TV exit poll and partial results showing a far-right party challenging the center-right government's majority in Parliament.
STOCKHOLM - A TV election forecast based on partial results shows Sweden's center-right government winning a one-seat majority in Parliament.
- Exit poll: Swedish far-right may become kingmaker
- TV exit poll: Swedish government wins election
- Swedish govt seeks re-election amid far-right rise
- Polls: Swedish government poised for re-election
- Calif. budget impasse about to become longest ever
- Swedish vote could end love story with left
- NY candidate: Prison dorms for welfare recipients
- One Indian village wins freedom with job program
- Schwarzenegger bans welfare cards at casinos
- UK makes sharpest cuts in decades in new budget
- Can Europe cut its way back to economic health?
- Tragedy sets tone in race for new Polish president
- Tight race in Slovak parliamentary election
- Exit poll: Opposition winning Slovak election
- Eurozone nations lay out budget cuts
- Germany to unveil cuts to welfare, jobs
- Country-by-country look at Europe's debt crisis
- Europe faces an era of government spending cuts
- Hopes for budget compromise dim amid Calif deficit
- Schwarzenegger lays out bleak California budget
- Schwarzenegger budget: No new taxes, deeper cuts
- Indiana agency, IBM sue each other over $1.3B deal
- Thousands of Asians rally for jobs, pay on May Day
- Economy the focus as China political session ends
- Lawmakers probe lax enforcement of animal rules
- Portugal adds austerity measures
- Portugal uses privatizations to drive down debt
- $4B in stimulus funds for welfare jobs untouched
- SC politician's welfare comments called 'immoral'
- SC lt. gov.'s welfare comments causing a stir
- Ga. faces $506M Medicaid gap; hospital fee mulled
- Economy causes record demand for Idaho public aid
- Ind. to launch 'hybrid' welfare system next week
- Neb. bill would tie welfare benefits to drug tests
- Idaho agency to shut offices early to save money