ALBANY, N.Y. - Former New York state Comptroller Alan Hevesi has turned himself in and will plead guilty to a felony corruption charge for taking gifts while running the state's multibillion dollar pension fund, a person close to the investigation told The Associated Press.
SAO PAULO - A one-time Marxist guerrilla chosen by Brazil's most popular leader in history to succeed him was the front-runner in Sunday's presidential election and hoped to pull off what even her predecessor couldn't: a first-round win with no need for a runoff.
SAO PAULO - Brazilians vote Sunday in national elections that could see front-running candidate Dilma Rousseff become the country's first female president, succeeding her popular ally and mentor.
SANTA MONICA, Calif. - The attorney for Meg Whitman's former housekeeper released a copy Thursday of a purported 2003 letter that she says shows the Republican gubernatorial candidate knew all along that the maid might be an illegal immigrant.
SANTA MONICA, Calif. - Meg Whitman said Thursday that her former housekeeper might have intercepted a 2003 government letter warning that the maid could be in the country illegally as the Republican gubernatorial candidate denounced the story as a "baseless smear attack." For a second straight day, Whitman forcefully denied that she knew her housekeeper was in the country illegally for years and called the allegations a "political smear on me, on my family, and based on lies." She said her Democratic opponent, Jerry Brown, was behind the story and that the housekeeper was being manipulated for political gain.
- Scandals not slowing Brazil front runner
- Japanese PM wins party vote, will stay in power
- Veteran Japanese politician battles PM for top job
- SKorean foreign minister in scandal offers to quit
- Former Ill. Rep. Dan Rostenkowski dies at 82
- Congresswoman's loss signals end to family's reign
- Trial mystery: How did Blagojevich get elected?
- Congressional worker settlements hit $13 million
- French labor minister cleared in heiress case
- Japan ruling party loses on tax talk: exit polls
- Chavez shuffles Cabinet ahead of elections
- Ill. Senate race: all insults, all the time
- Japan's new leader faces test to win back voters
- Naoto Kan elected Japan's prime minister
- Algerian president fires CEO of state oil firm
- GOP upbeat about gubernatorial prospects, Midwest
- Colombia runoff: ex-defense minister vs. Mockus
- Expenses scandal troubles fledgling UK coalition
- Women troubles, empty pockets can't stop gov's bid
- Former Phoenix journalist running against McCain
- Brown leaves Downing street into uncertain future
- NIreland leader Robinson surprise loser in UK vote
- UK's top 2 parties locked in election standoff
- Exit polls: Conservatives fall short of majority
- Britons turn out in force for history-making vote
- UK election: Best bet is that history will be made
- Too posh? Class may be an issue in UK's May 6 vote
- Daunting task ahead to secure Detroit's future
- In Ohio, job worries overshadow primary election
- Hoyer, Pelosi aides questioned in ethics case
- FBI conducting own investigation in Massa case
- Ethics panel opens cover up probe in Massa case
- 10 million watch UK's 1st TV election debate
- Britain holds 1st televised election debates
- Parties scramble as Britain sets May 6 election